Sunday, 15 November 2009

Waters of Mars - Paving the way for our Timelord

When I first heard David Tennant was stepping down as the Doctor, I cried. Of course I did. He is utterly gorgeous and simply amazing. Though thankfully we still had four more episodes to get through before his departure. And the 15th November brought episode two: Waters of Mars.

I'd seen the trailer for the episode and thought it looked okay. Not brilliant, but watchable. I wasn't overly sure what it was going to be about, so as the excitement built up inside me throughout the day, I was ready to explode by the time 7pm arrived. As soon as I saw Tennant in his orange space suit though, my heart sank a little. It seemed that this episode turned out to be a cross between The Impossible Planet (Series 2) and Silence in the Library (Series 4). Don't get me wrong, I adore those episodes, but I was looking for something a bit different.

The idea behind the episode itself is quite interesting though. I mean, contaminated water? It's so simple yet so genius. It's one of those episodes that can scare people so easily. With Blink (Series 3), you had the Weeping Angels. Doomsday made Canary Wharf threatening. And now people are scared to drink their water. Utter genius. It's so beautifully written too, a tear was brought to my eye with every word the Doctor muttered. There's something magnificent about David's eyes, they're so breathtaking. He really does melt my heart.

When the Ood appeared at the end, I screamed. Literally. I had no idea that they were connected with the final episodes. Actually, as much as I love them, I was a little disappointed by this. I think they stress the Ood a bit too much. I mean they have appeared in two series' to date, and I think that is enough. I just do not find them 'special' enough for the show. I wanted the daleks to be involved, and who knows what they have in store for Christmas and New Year, but I don't like this anticipation! I'm thrilled that Donna is back in the next episode, and the Master! I've seen pictures of Billie Piper and Camille Coduri back on the set too, which made me incredibly happy. Billie is the reason I initially carried on watching Doctor Who, she means the world to me, and it is only right that she is involved in Tennant's last episodes. I truly cannot wait.

Just two more episodes. That is all we have left. And then we have Matt Smith. Forget what they say about this being the beginning of the end, that will not happen until Smith becomes our 11th Doctor. When that happens after the regeneration, the show will go downhill. Ratings will drop and viewers will lose interest. That really will be the beginning of the end for Doctor Who. So until then we better enjoy the glories of David Tennant and our beloved Doctor as much as possible.

Amy x

No comments:

Post a Comment