Friday, 1 January 2010

Doctor Who - End of Time

Jumping in the Tardis and going back to Christmas Day 2005, I discovered a television show that was about to change my life. Doctor Who, Christmas Special, The Christmas Invasion. David Tennant and Billie Piper. It was all new to me. I had missed an entire series, the show passing me by for months. Until it finally crossed my path, ready to become the most important thing in my life.

I finally caught up on the first series of the show, and began gorging on episodes day after day until I knew the scripts word for word. Then I brought myself back to the present ready to enjoy series 2. So much wonder, so much delight. And then Doomsday struck.

Seeing Billie leave Doctor Who was one of the most heart aching things on television. she had become, and still is, one of the most important people in my life with so much say over what I do. I couldn't believe it. Nonetheless I carried on watching the show albeit with difficulty, and powered through another two series'.

And then the news that would top all news was broken. David Tennant announced his departure. How could this be? He was the man who introduced me to the show, the man who I adored over for many years. And he was leaving the single show that had transformed my life, my opinion, my personality. How would I cope?

During the run up to the show I tried to prepare myself for the departure as best as I could. I'd found out that both Billie and Camille Coduri would be returning to the final episode, and this did give me a glimpse of excitement. Only time would tell how I was going to react...

As the episode started, my heart was racing. I knew exactly what was coming - I knew the verdict - but I didn't know how it was going to develop. Seeing Christopher Eccleston regenerate into Tennant was not too distressful - because I fell in love with Tennant first it was like I was losing one thing to get something better. But with this, I wasn't sure how I was going to react to Matt Smith. There had been a lot of controversy when it was first announced that he was going to be playing the 11th Doctor. I personally was worried. Although he has been in a lot of shows with Billie, and his acting skills are wonderful, I just wasn't sure if he was going to suit the role of the Doctor.

Finally the episode got underway, and I'd just like to point out my new found love for Bernard Cribbins. Wilfred Mott was a character I fell in love with straight away when we were introduced to him back in Series 4, but never did I think I would have such a level of affection for him. I do wish Catherine Tate was in it more than she was, but I'm thrilled she was still there. As for the Master, well that's a whole different story...

I was never fond of the Master. I knew we hadn't seen the last of him at the end of Series 3, but I never thought he'd be involved in Tennant's last episodes. To be fair, I think his part in it all was a bit rocky. Throughout both the Christmas episode and the final, he was played out to be the central character aside the Doctor. Having nearly every human in the universe as a version of himself was a big deal for a while. Then the Timelords storm in and reverse this. Guns are pointed. The Timelords and The Master disappear. I think the Doctor should have grieved a bit more than he did. Deep down I am thrilled - if Tennant expressed any more emotion I may just have died. But as far as the quality of the episode, I think they could have made a bigger deal of the Master's departure.

Even though the end was drawing closer, as soon as the Doctor went to get his 'reward', my face lit up slightly. When all the wonderful characters came back at the end of Series 4, I was ecstatic. And now, they were all back again. Billie, Camille, Freema Agyeman, Noel Clarke, Elisabeth Sladen, John Barrowman...and all the aliens. The music intertwining was taken from series past. Emotions ran high. It was amazing. When the Doctor came face to face with Rose it did take me a while to realize that it was in the past, and I thank you Doctor Who for this. Had it been present day and the Doctor had to face Rose and tell her he was dying, I wouldn't have been able to cope. Thank you.

The tears streaming down my face and my heart still racing, the infamous regeneration takes place and we say goodbye to the gorgeous David Tennant, and come face to face with Matt Smith. Our new Doctor. In the short few moments we saw him, I actually had to blink a few times to make sure it was him. He sounded like Tennant, he looked like Tennant. But he wasn't Tennant. I'll admit his few few moments were good, and he may just excel, but he will never be David. He can never be David. Our Tenth Doctor is dead, and in many ways so are all the characters from the first four series'. The Doctor cannot interact with them in the same way. So it is time to take that blank canvas and star afresh. The memories will always be there, the most cherished things I possess, but it is time to look at the show in a new light.

Not as a life any more, but a past time.

Amy x

No comments:

Post a Comment