Friday, 1 October 2010

Doctor Who Series 1, episode 9/10 - 'The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances'

Video review:

I'd already discovered the delights of the tenth Doctor before I'd ventured into the world of Eccleston's 'fantastic' Doctor, but it didn't take me long to realise that the first series of the show was just as mesmerising as the second. By the time I reached episode nine, I was already head over heels in love with the leather-jacket wearing, all grinning all bounding nineth Doctor and knew that no matter how dire an episode plot would be, nothing could dampen the mood of such a glorious man. Having skimmed over the plot briefly before viewing however, I felt I had nothing to worry about. I only hoped my prejudgement was going to be correct.

The two parter episodes, 'The Empty Child' and 'The Doctor Dances', may have aired in May of 2005, but it removed us completely from present day and sent us back to London in 1941, during the Blitz. Almost immediately, Rose goes off to venture around, leaving the Doctor to try and source a missing companion. However it's not long before he has even bigger problems, when he realises a lonely little boy looking for his mother is carrying an infectious disease that the Doctor thought could only be alien. Whilst trying to route to the source of this threatening problem, Rose finds herself in the arms of a charming Time Traveller, away from the Doctor.

I'm a massive History Geek, so to have two episodes set during the Second World War was brilliant. The thought alone of combining said era with one of the greatest TV shows of all time was thrilling. Kudos to the costume department - I was incredibly impressed with the array of 1940s clothes used to create the ideal feel. The street sounds, the set designs, the blackened sky lit up by fleeting airplanes; it all created the perfect atmosphere for viewers to experience. I've seem some shoddy shows over the years which simply didn't carry across a genuine enough Blitz presence, but this one was golden.

The quality of the acting was brilliant. I'd have expected nothing less from Chris (Eccleston) and Billie (Piper) - I knew what they were capable of and this they had delivered. However, being a first time viewer of John Barrowman, I was incredibly impressed with his portrayal of Captain Jack Harkness - he allowed me to fall in love with the character immediately, which is only a good thing. Florence Hoath was lovely as Nancy - you could see clearly the mixed emotions which were sunk deep behind her eyes; the fear in her heart for Jamie, which was bundled around the love she helf for him.

I've yet to be disappointed by an episode written by Steven Moffatt - that man's a genuis. I can say the same for James Hawes, director of the two episodes in question. There are some especially beautiful scenes throughout both, ones which have you on the edge of your seat with your heart in your mouth, and others which make you blink furiously to fight back the tears. Hawes also directed my three other personal favourite episodes - definitely fine work there.

If I were to recommend any particular series one episode to a first time Doctor Who viewer, it would without a doubt be these two. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that they're not just one of the best in the series, but one of the best out of the entire twenty-first Century 'Doctor Who' series'. I struggle to find even a smudge of imperfection upon both 'The Empty Child' and 'The Doctor Dances'. They're beautifully frightful and will certainly leave a scar in your mind.

Amy x

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I hope you don't mind me posting a comment on here.

    This is a very nice review of one of my favourite stories. How creepy is the "Are you my mummy?" I downloaded it from the BBC website so it played when I get a text message but it ddoesn't work like I hoped it would. :(

    I really wanted Nancy to go off with them and be the new companion. I think she is a great character and would have added something different to the show.

    Hopefully you'll review all the rest of the Doctor Who stories one day.

    Keep up the good work with the reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete