Friday, 19 August 2011

Celebrity Big Brother 2011 (Channel 5)

(Video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7aSqGKf9LY )

I don't like it. I don't understand how it lasted so long, and I can't get my head around why Channel 5 would wish to broadcast the show.

I've never liked Big Brother. I think I half-followed one series about five years ago but even that was done with just one eye open. When I heard it'd been axed by Channel 4, I was quite delighted. Finally I'd be able to switch on the TV and sigh with relief knowing that I was safe from the mind-numbing TV.

When I heard the rumours that Charlie Sheen was apparently being offered a large sum of money to appear on the revamped Channel 5 version, I did smile a little. Much to many people's disgust, I adore Mr Sheen and his involvement in the show would have perhaps persuaded me to at least check in with the show now and again.

Sadly, it was not meant to be. I didn't watch the launch last night - I have far more important things to do with my time - however, the lovely people of Twitter kept me well updated on who was going into the house. I have to admit, when the first into the house was Kerry Katona, I was a little delighted. Perhaps this was going to be Celebrity Big Brother after all; Channel 4 had a habit of introducing non-celebrities into such a series, which I laughed at incredibly.

We also have Amy Childs. I was ready to gouge my eyes out at that point. How can somebody who's famous just for being famous get anywhere in life? I know this contradicts what I've said about Katona, but...well, I like Kerry! I am not a fan of Childs in the slightest. Not one little bit. No way. Never. Ew.

We then have a bunch of people who I've never heard of: Tara Reid, Paddy Doherty, Darryn Lyons, Sally Bercow, Pamela Bach-Hasselhoff, Bobby Sabel. Having done a small amount of research on Bercow, I can at least conclude that there's a slight amount of diverse personalities in the house now.

If I had to predict a list of names of who I thought might have gone into the house, never would I have said Lucien Laviscount. Maybe I'm just not cool, maybe I'm too old, but despite his appearances in a few TV shows I've watched he's not a personality I've ever really cared for. However, it's an entirely different story with the last 'housemate' to enter.

Of course, I'm referring to Jedward! I absolutely adore the Irish twins; they're so full of energy and live. I think they'll bring a refreshing bounce to the show. Sure, previous contestants have often displayed high energy, but generally it's fuelled with hatred or insanity. John and Edward seem to have nothing less than a love for life and this should (I stress should) add an air of admiration in the house. I'm not holding my breath though.

It seems that not many people are 'feeling the love' for the show's new host, Brian Dowling. I do have to admit, while I like his character, I do feel that Davina made the show. Even though I didn't like the show, I did enjoy seeing Davina's enthusiasm and craziness on the occasion that I'd put on C4/E4 in the hope to watch a FRIENDS rerun, only to discover that yet another series of Big Brother was getting in my way. The world does miss McCall.

One episode down and I'm already annoyed with the show. Not even the lovely Jedward twins can make me watch it. I'm probably going to watch a couple of Jedward-based clips every now and then, but I'm praying they're the first to go! This is not because I don't want them to win - I very much do want them to win - but I don't want to even have to think about Celebrity Big Brother!

It seems that this is the beginning of a very long and frustrating road. Big Brother, I'm afraid I just don't care about you. Please try and not infiltrate my life, that'd be much appreciated.

Amy x

1 comment:

  1. It's not me who has a problem with the opinions of others. I completely accept that people don't enjoy Big Brother and are bored of the show but when it's addressed like this I will have something to say about it. I don't personally enjoy Friends but I've never said anything about it being on Channel 4, I just accept that I don't particularly like the show but I understand that it's hugely popular and therefore others do. There was no need to block me on YouTube, I'm not being horrible, I just wish people give it a chance and you did ask for people to post what they thought and that's all I did.

    ReplyDelete