Thursday, 1 September 2011

'Knots and Crosses' by Ian Rankin

"Noughts and...oh, Knots and Crosses?! That looks...well I've no idea. I've never read anything by Ian Rankin. Let's give it a go!".

The glorious tourist shell surrounding Edinburgh acted merely as a mask to the troubles that lurked within, as two young girls have been found murdered after abduction. It's apparent that the two cases are connected, and it's up to Detective Sergeant John Rebus to find out why. However, things start to become a little too personal for him; just how much of his past is set to haunt him?

I have to admit, being a huge fan of crime TV shows I wasn't too sure if a novel of the same nature would be able to deliver so efficiently. I can now confirm though that I needn't have worried. Rankin provides just enough snippets of information as the chapters progress to allow us to try and work out who we think the criminal is, without ever giving the game away.

In fact, my predictions weren't even near close to the final outcome, the delightful surprise of the closing chapter leaving me satisfied with the read. The characters develop well throughout, with only the one slightly irritating, but relevant person cropping up every so often (watch out for Stevens, he may just frustrate you too!). Gill Templer I especially liked, her role bringing a glimmer of positivity to the otherwise dark case.

Without a doubt, I'd recommend Knots and Crosses. It wasn't difficult in the slightest to get into - I was hooked in straight away - and it's not really a challenge to follow either, despite the often high level of information which one may be required to balance at one given time. Definitely an author I'll be going back to, Ian Rankin as proved to me that crime novels can be just as fulfilling as watching similar stories unfold on TV!

Amy x

No comments:

Post a Comment