Thursday, 12 January 2012

Waterstone's to remove its apostrophe?

If you live in fear of yet another one of my Grammar Nazi rants, you may wish to avoid my Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and every other form of communication with me for the next ten years.

Despite its high prices and poor stock, I adore Waterstone's. At least, I did until I read this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2085471/No-problems-grocers-Waterstones-gives-apostrophe-practical-anymore.html

The above article addresses the fact that Waterstone's is to remove its apostrophe, claiming such actions are encouraged by the increase in technology that does not allow apostrophes. What a pathetic excuse. I left the following comment below the article, which has thankfully received quite a few positive ratings:


This is barbaric. Surely this is no less than a sign that the English language is being transformed into an noneducational mess? Technology is not an excuse; many other businesses hold apostrophes in their names, and they manage to cope just fine. The last thing the youths of today, with the tragically growing level of incompetence for the written word, need is a popular BOOK store to display an incorrect use of grammar. I'm appalled.

The written language, given the fact that it is the centre of my career, means the world to me. I don't want a store that is supposed to be encouraging academics misusing grammar by omitting a possessive apostrophe. After recording a very ranty video for YouTube about the issue, I actually sent out an email discussing the issue too. With no presence of hyperbole, this has actually ruined my day (and my life, if I have to continuously walk by the many Waterstone's stores across the country that will then display poor grammar). As soon as I see the first Waterstone's sign that is written, sickly, as 'Waterstones', I'm boycotting it. 

Yes, that's just how much of a snob I am when it comes to grammar. I refuse to lower my standards. I have respect for the written word, and refuse to encourage a language that is degrading our nation. I'll stand by the fact that I, like others who actually care, possess an ability to write effectively and efficiently (though, with my current level of anger, I've no idea how I'm able to even sit still, never mind compose this post), and won't let pathetic little excuses from a book store which I will quickly label as 'chavvy' if they don't change their ways ruin that for me.

Waterstone's, please go and stand in the corner and think about what you've done.

No comments:

Post a Comment