Monday, 25 March 2013

My First Visit to Seaham Hall!

It shouldn't have taken me this long, but I was always too scared.

The last time I tried, I reached the pillar at the end of the car park. I turned. I left.

But today, I finally did it. I stepped inside Seaham Hall.


I'm not sure why I was so worried. Perhaps I feared it would be too overwhelming. I'd like to say that I was wrong to panic, but let's be honest...

The place is amazing. It really is overwhelming! A friend and I were only planning to go there for a drink in the newly refurbished Byron's Bar (the name alone sends delightful shivers through me, so you can imagine my excitement when I saw the Albanian costume portrait hanging up when we entered the room...), but after I enquired about the room in which Byron and Annabella tied the knot (or rather the room in which Byron's life slowly began to seep away from him), we were taken on a mini tour around the building.

Well, that was certainly an unexpected joy; I cannot thank the wonderful member of staff who took us around enough. Seaham Hall is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I love its connection with Byron, but it's unfortunate that it's not connected with happy memories. Thankfully, the atmosphere hasn't been tainted by the havoc that was caused just short of two centuries ago with the troubled union of Byron and Milbanke.

If you ever get the chance to visit Seaham Hall, I strongly recommend that you do. It's sensational in every aspect, and this first visit is certainly not my last!

Amy x