Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Helena Bonham Carter as the wizard in the M&S Christmas 2013 advert?!

I can do little but express how wrong I was.

I'll admit that I wasn't overly convinced when I heard Ms Bonham Carter had been cast in this year's Marks and Spencer Christmas advert. It seemed like an odd choice, and I was concerned that she'd become too branded, too stereotyped. It doesn't need to be said that I care about her and her career too much to see this happen. Sure, being heavily associated with M&S wouldn't be too bad, but it wasn't the route down which I, as an avid supporter and admirer of her acting career, wished for her to go.

However, I'm now very, very satisfied!

She's playing the wizard in this year's advert, which is themed around Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz. She may only be in it for 17 seconds (1:36-1:53) but they are such glorious seconds that there's no doubt it's worth it! The giant green head is really effective, and her appearance afterwards is stunning. The rest of the advert is, of course, also gorgeous; the Tea Party is well-displayed, and who couldn't love the giant playing cards?

You can watch the video below, on the M&S YouTube channel.

 
Isn't it stunning?

Amy x