Sunday, 30 November 2014

Top 5 Novels: October-November 2014

It's that time again when I force myself to narrow down the novels I've read over the last few months to just five favourites. It's quite a tough call, as is usually the case, but I think I'm finally happy with my list. 

In no particular order, the novels that have left an impression on me recently are:


1. The Parasites by Daphne Du Maurier I'm a little bit in love with addicted to Daphne Du Maurier. Don't look at me like that - it's Hampstead's fault. I've read a few of her novels recently but The Parasites is by far my favourite. Three well-cultured siblings with careers in music, theatre, and illustration: what could possibly go wrong? There's a lot of The Parasites that sits warmly in my heart, and Du Maurier's writing style is to die for.







2. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery I'd always intended to read Anne of Green Gables, but never prioritised it. Now that I've finished it I can honestly say it's one of my favourite classics. It's quite an easy read, which I wouldn't have expected when considering a tale about a little orphan girl moving in with her foster family, but it's just so agreeable in every emotion it projects. The rate of development for Anne's character is lovely too, exactly what I would have hoped for and more. I definitely urge you to read this if you've not yet done so.

3. Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey Oh wow. Where do I begin? Give me any story about spirits and I'll love you forever. This one is so superbly written, and, with its Victorian settings, is more than I could ever have dreamed of. It's thrilling in parts, chilling in others, and so addictive that I couldn't put it down. It's very believable, an eye opener to the world of fraudulent spiritual mediums, and one that I will read again. And probably again.







4. The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton There's a reason why Kate Morton has featured in the past two entries for this series. Her writing is addictive. I do believe The Secret Keeper is my second favourite of her novels to date. A search into the past opens a journey of discover for Laurel, but never did I expect such an outcome. It starts off as a good story, progresses into a wonderful read, and then, out of nowhere, it makes me cry towards the end. I love a novel with a good ending, and this one has a great one!






5. The Observations by Jane Harris This is one of those books that I picked up without not really knowing what to expect from it. I took a risk and it certainly paid off. An Irish maid working for a couple in Edinburgh - sounds straightforward, right? Wrong! The balance of trust here is way off centre; as soon as I start to favour one character they do something that flings me out of my comfort zone. One more occasions than I can count I changed my mind about how I thought it'd end, about who I should believe. It's full of surprises, and puts traditional character traits in a new light. What's not to love?






There's little in life that's as exciting as a great novel. What delights have consumed your imagination these last few months?

Amy x

No comments:

Post a Comment